24 May 2007

On Renting an Apartment

Perhaps the first thing one notices in a foreign country is the way business transactions are handled. After a great dinner consisting of a "meat plate" (which, for those not familiar with Balkan cuisine, means meat, meat shaped into sausage link like bundles, meat on a stick, and meat stuffed with more meat and cheese), I spent the first night in the office (there is a spare bedroom in my office area, so it's not quite like camping). The next morning I registered with the local police (which I must do each time I leave the country, so I'll be a familiar face there) and went to look at my flat. Located minutes away from the office, it is on the top floor and has two balconies. After fierce negotiations (including allowing the landlady, who is as old as my grandmother, to keep some things in the refrigerator and access to the flowers on the balcony to water them, in return for them bringing a new TV to the flat - I didn't have the heart to tell them I don't know what the TV says anyway) we sealed the deal. This was done by me handing over the full two months rent and them giving Davor, my contact at EWI, and myself a shot of the local moonshine. This went over well, especially since it was 11:30 AM. Still, it was customary, so when in Rom... err Serbia...

4 comments:

petitgateau said...

I imagine there isn't much Guiness in Serbia. What is the beverage of choice?

Unknown said...

I think in Missour-ah we would call that hooch. Just remember, it's 5 o'clock some where and by God, someone's got to do it!!

A D R said...

The beverage of choice is typically wine or brandy, the brandy I think I had was made of plums? I don't know. I'm getting used to just drinking/eating whatever people tell me to eat/drink.

Also, found out that restaurants in Kosovo are really good, but according to Davor you have to be careful, since sometimes you may get served horse and be told it's chicken...

Larko said...

Are you sure it is horse and not rat? :-P

Antonio has a weird national food post. Maybe you would like to make an entry. ;-)