26 May 2007

I got my work cut out for me.

Im working on a simple enough project - research free trade zones, figure out what the various kinds are, and if it is worthwhile for the municipalities to pursue them.

Thats the main focus. In theory.

In reality it's like everything else, I've got a million other things to do, and just jump and try to get them done. I'm the official native speaker of the Vranje and Gjilan offices, so whenever there are reports being written I get to edit them for grammar and work with the author to explain why I am changing everything. I also get to set up technology things such as Skype for the team members. I am assisting with the sports day in Macedonia on Tuesday, and providing logistic support for finding and setting up the new offices here in Vranje that we will be moving into sometime this summer.

So what does my week look like, you ask?

Monday - talk to the police about how the border crossing will work, because I am crossing to Macedonia later on for a late luncheon, and will be back after work hours and therefore will not be able to register again before I leave early...

Tuesday - as there is the sports program with youth from all over the region - Kosovo, Serbia, Macedonia - and of the various ethnic groups - Serbs, Albanians, maybe even Roma. That will be an all day event too, I assume.

Wednesday we meet with the various International NGOs and I'll get some contacts about economic development, start setting up meetings.

Thursday is mostly open, though I may meet with an NGO Davor's Father works for.

Friday is back to Skopje for staff meeting.

My daily schedule typically involves lots of reading (I have about 5 inches of papers to read) and lots of coffee drinking. Meetings are very low key and often involve coffee and food. Everyone bends over backwards to be nice, completely contrary to the media perception. While it's always good policy to keep an eye on valuables, crime is very low here. I was told it's especially low against foreigners, as my landlord and landlady would take it very personally if someone were to steal something from me. So unless you are stupid and talk politics to drunks or leave money on the table, you have very little to worry about.

Last night I visited Davor and his family. Much of the evening was spent drinking rakija, the local brandy that is made everywhere (I think Davor's wife's cousins made this, as it came out of a plastic bottle) and talking about America, Serbia, Pop Culture, watching silly movie clips, and just having a really great time.

Today is reading day, even though I have the day off. I want to get more accustomed to what is going on, how EWI works in the region, and what I can do in the time I have here. I may be going off to Italy while I'm here, as they are providing me with a week to just explore so I don't work too hard :-P

No comments: