24 May 2007

First Trip to Kosovo

It's about an hour and a half to Gjilian, and entails two border crossings - once in Serbia, then a 5K drive to Kosovo Border. This is the DMZ-like section between the two. We take a cab driven by an ethnic Albanian to Gjilian to facilitate the border crossing. Each crossing requires me to hand over my passport, get my name recorded, and in some cases gives me a card that I have to surrender upon leaving (much like my police card here in Serbia). Because Kosovo is still Serbian (for now, that might change in June), I don't have to re-register every time at the police station here when I go to Kosovo, only for Macedonia.

Gjilian is very beautiful. The buildings are old, like in Serbia, but there is a bustle of activity, like people are getting ready for the day when investments will come to Kosovo. I met with some American Soldiers stationed with the KFOR, or Kosovo Force, who are working with EWI. I also met some UN contractors as well. Massive Thunderstorms caused power outages before we left, but still, it was a very wonderful day. Also, apparently the newest joke around the office is "What are you sinking about?" Look for the video here

Now, after a long day of traveling and shopping for food, I'm ready for a break. Tomorrow I meet with my site manager for dinner and to discuss the finer parts of the project.

5 comments:

petitgateau said...

I'm glad this was a good day. It must have been a scary feeling having to cross the gates.

Unknown said...

Loved the video! Let's face it, there is an English language barrier between New Jersey and Missour-ah/Arkansas verified during some of our own conversations. Let's just hope you don't drown anyone. Especially on the brink of an election year.
How would that look on the CV???

A D R said...

lol there's less "Gates" and more checkpoints with men with guns. And the fact that they hold my passport for like 10 minutes while we wait... and that my photo is 7 years old or so...

Justin24601 said...

Hey, Declan! Dea gave me this address, and I'm so glad she did. Keep the updates coming!

Pastor Paul said...

sounds to me like you are up to your eyeballs in "conflict resolution", just as you've dreamed! It's obvious, from your apartment negotiations, that you will succeed and enjoy yourself in the process.

Keep us posted as best you can!